Finn O’Reilly of Skibbereen Rowing Club won the 51st Cork Sculling Ladder Time Trial on the 1800 metre Marina course, Cork on Saturday. Conditions for sculling were perfect on an incoming tide for the event which is sponsored by Argos Fires and Safety.
O’Reilly won with a time of 6 minutes 58.0 seconds. Ronan Byrne of Shandon Boat Club was just 1.2 seconds back on 6:59.2. Byrne, an Olympian, won the 2021-2022 Sculling Ladder.
Kate Reidy (pictured) of Lee Rowing Club (8 mins 1.2 sec) won the women’s section by 4.7 seconds from Holly Davis (Lee Valley Rowing Club). One hundred and nineteen single scullers participated.
This year the Cork Sculling Ladder ran its first Mixed Double Sculls Time Trial. The strong combination of European silver medalist, Natalie Long (Lee Valley) and Byrne won. Their time of 6:38.8 was 21.1 seconds faster than that of Kelly Oforji (UCC Rowing Club) and James Young (Cork Boat Club). Jane Rodgers and Robert Butler, both Shandon Boat Club, took third in 7:12.2.
Tony Corcoran of Lee Valley and Caroline Gordon (Cappoquin), who are World Masters winners, combined to finish in 17th to win the Masters section. Thirty boats competed.
Simon Coveney, the Minister for Foreign Affairs and Minister for Defence, presented the tankards to the Time Trial winners at the prizegiving ceremony at Cork Boat Club.
The Minister also presented tankards to three successful internationals who have have participated in the Cork Sculling Ladder.
Andrew Sheehan of Lee and UCC was a bronze medallist at the 2022 World Rowing Under-23 Championships; Natalie Long a silver medallist at the 2022 European Rowing Championships; Margaret Cremen of UCC took bronze at the 2022 World Rowing Championships.
Top 10 men and women.
1. Finn O’Reilly. Skibbereen RC. 6:58.0
2. Ronan Byrne. Shandon BC. 6:59.2
3. Ciaran O’Sullivan. Lee RC. 7:01.7
4. Michal Cronin. Cork BC. 7: 05.4
5. Barry O’Flynn. Cork BC. 7:05.7
6. Jonny Cuddy. Cork BC. 7:07.6
7. Ciaran Brady. Cork BC. 7:13.7
8. Kevin McColgan. Lee RC. 7:29.7
9. Matthew Murray. Lee RC. 7:31.9
10. Andrew O’Leary. Pres. Coll. RC. 7:34.6
25. (1) Kate Reidy. Lee RC. 8:01.2
31. (2) Holly Davis. Lee Valley RC. 8:05.9
37. (3) Ciara Browne. UCC RC. 8:16.9
38. (4) Keelin Keating. Lee Valley RC. 8:18.0
40. (5) Sophia Monahan. Lee Valley RC. 8:18.7
51. (6) Anne Sheehan. Lee RC. 8:28.1
52. (7) Tamsin Rainsford. Lee RC. 8:29.4
55. (8) Emma Zanen. UCC RC. 8:33.9
56. (9) Eimear O’Flaherty. Lee RC. 8:36.1
59. (10) Selma Bouanane. UCC RC. 8:41.0
60. (11) Paula Moloney. Tralee RC. 8:41.2
Mixed Double Sculls.
Top 6 open.
1. Natalie Long / Ronan Byrne. Lee Valley RC/Shandon BC. 6:38.8
2. Kelly Oforji / James Young. UCC RC / Cork BC. 7:07.9
3. Jane Rodgers / Robert Butler. Shandon BC. 7:12.2
4. Jennifer Crowley / Tom Lorde. UCC RC. 7:23.2
5. Aine Gaffney / Olan Bradley. Shandon BC. 7:26.1
6. Isabella Ross-Chu / Daniel Butler. Shandon BC. 7:40.8
17. (1) Tony Corcoran / Caroline Gordon. Lee Valley RC/Cappoquin RC. 8:59.6
24. (2) Catriona Dorgan / Chris Dorgan. Shandon BC. 10:35.1